If you find an item of lost property at a Council facility, please hand it to a member of staff who will ensure that a designated Officer logs and stores the item.
If you think you have lost an item(s) in or around Council facilities, please contact us using the contact details below. Where evidence of an owner is clear you may be contacted, but only where there is irrefutable evidence of ownership.
If you contact us to claim an item you will need to give the following details:
• Your name (must be the owner of the property)
• Contact details, preferably telephone number and email address (postal address may be required)
• Date you lost the item
• Approximate time you lost the item
• Council facility and, if known, the area in/around the facility that you lost the item
• Full description of the item
Your telephone call/email will be logged and we will contact you after checking on your item.
If you are collecting an item you must produce identification with a recent photograph.
Council contact details:
• Telephone: 0300 303 1777 and ask for Policy and Strategic Services
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and use ‘Lost Property’ as the subject title
• we will only retain lost property items for the periods outlined in the Lost Property Procedure
• if you live outside the area and require us to post your item to you, you must pay the cost of packaging and postage before we will send the item to you
• lost property must be collected by the identified owner – we will not release/post lost property items unless we are satisfied that the claimant is the owner of the property
• we will not release/post lost property if the claimant cannot produce identification or, if applicable, will not pay a postage fee