Registering a Birth
Birth Registration by Appointment Only
We are operating an appointment only service.
To make an appointment, email email@example.com or phone 028 8225 6212 or 028 6634 2428.
- complete the birth registration form and email a scan/photograph of it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- make arrangements for 1 parent only to attend for a birth where the parents are married, both parents only to attend for joint registrations.
- no children should attend the office.
- due to limited waiting space, late appointments cannot be accommodated.
- full birth certificate/s (£8.00 per certificate) can be obtained at the time of the registration. Please make payment by card if possible.
Your baby’s birth must be registered within the first year, in normal circumstances within 42 days from the birth.
When and where should I register
By law, your baby’s birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of birth.
If the birth took place in Northern Ireland it can be registered in any District Registration Office within Northern Ireland.
What will I receive?
Once the registration is completed, the Registrar will give you one free short birth certificate and an infant registration form (HS123) to register with your family doctor and obtain your child’s medical card. Birth certificates, either long or short, can be purchased at the time of registration for £8 per copy.
The Registrar’s Office can also provide help and advice about the following issues:
- re-registering a birth, for example, if you want to add the father’s name after the initial registration
- recording name changes.
Detailed information about all these topics is available from the NI Direct website.