Registering a Stillbirth

Registering the stillbirth of a child is no doubt the farthest thing from a grieving parent’s mind. There are family members who can help and while you must register a stillbirth by law, you do have one year from the date of the stillbirth to complete the registration.

Registration is free and can be done in any District Registration Office within Northern Ireland. You will receive a still birth certificate at the time of registration.

How to register

Please contact the registration office by phone 28 82256 212 or 028 6634 2428 or email

To register a stillbirth you will need to provide a certificate signed by a registered medical practitioner (or registered midwife) that was present at the stillbirth or has examined the body of the stillborn child.

You will also need to provide the following information:

  • full name and sex of the stillborn child
  • date of the stillbirth
  • district and place of stillbirth
  • full names and dates of birth of the parents
  • full addresses and occupations of the parents


Please note that a registration cannot be easily changed once completed.


Advice and support
The NI Direct website has details of organisations which can provide support after a bereavement.