Who do I report problems with my mains water supply to?

If you have a problem with a burst water mains, your mains drinking water or a blocked public sewer contact Northern Ireland Water (NIW) at 03457 440088.

NIW is responsible for maintaining the quality of mains drinking water, water pipes and the supply of water to your home.

If you live in a rented house and are having problems with water or drainage your Landlord should fix the problem if the fault is on their property.

Can I get my private water supply sampled by the Council?

For private supplies e.g. wells, boreholes, springs, at single domestic dwellings you can contact the Environmental Health Department to request a water quality testing sample to ensure the supply is safe and wholesome.  A fee may be charged depending on your circumstances.

Drinking Water Inspectorate

If your private water supply is shared with other householders or used in the course of a business e.g. renting holiday accommodation or using water for food production, you have a duty of care towards these people for the safety of the water you supply.  In these circumstances, you must register your supply with the Drinking Water Inspectorate under the Private Water Supplies Regulations.  You will complete a registration form and your supply will be placed on a monitoring programme to check that it meets the water quality standards in the Regulations and a Risk Assessment will also be carried out on your supply.

Who samples Swimming Pools, Spa Pools, etc.?

The Environmental Health Department carries out routine inspections of swimming pools and spa pools to check the quality of the water.

Water Pollution

Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA), Water Quality Inspectorate, is responsible for the investigation of pollution of watercourses and coastal waters as well as protecting many rivers, streams and lakes.  NIEA is also concerned with the quantity and quality of underground water.

Local Water Quality Inspectors can be contacted at:
Fermanagh (Castle Archdale) 028 686 28882
Omagh (County Hall) 0300 303 1777