COVID-19: There have been some changes to Council services. For up to date information on Council services and community & business support available during this time, please follow this link: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information, Advice & Council services
Buying and Caring for a Puppy
Deciding whether to get a puppy or dog is a big decision and hence important to give it proper thought, don’t rush into it and to carry out some research. Guidelines on buying and caring for a puppy are available on the attached Guide to advise prospective purchasers. The advice is to buy your puppy/dog from a responsible breeder, or seller. These people will have made sure that the puppy has had the best start in life. This is important, because how puppies have been bred and raised can have a lifelong effect.
Also, the Guidelines highlight that anyone who decides to get a dog becomes responsible for that animal and will need to be fully aware of the legal requirements of owning a dog.
The Guide sets out information on
• the importance of research, before deciding to buy a puppy/dog;
• finding the right dog breed;
• deciding where to get your new puppy/dog;
• finding a healthy, happy dog;
• collecting your new dog and bringing it home;
• helping your new dog settle-in to its new home; and
• understanding dog behaviour.
The Guide also highlights the responsibilities that dog owners have, regarding:
• licensing the dog;
• keeping the dog under proper control; and
• meeting the welfare needs of the dog.