Registering a Death
By law, all deaths occurring in Northern Ireland must be registered.
How to register a death:
- Complete the death registration form and return by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Contact the registration office by phone to provide the details, Telephone 028 82256 212 or 028 6634 2428.
- There is no need to attend the office in person.
If the death was sudden or the doctor treating the deceased is unavailable, the death may be referred to the Coroner.
The NI Direct website has comprehensive information about what to do if a death is referred to the Coroner or if someone dies abroad.
What will you receive?
Once the death is registered, you will receive:
- a GRO 21 form which allows a burial or cremation to take place
- a bereavement service leaflet for social security purposes if the deceased received a state pension or benefits.
Death certificates may be purchased at the time of registration for £8 per certificate.