Registration Staff will be delighted to help you with your marriage formalities.

Legal Requirements

Couples marrying in Northern Ireland have a choice of either a religious or civil ceremony. The initial arrangements are the same for both types of marriage. It is important to organise the date and time of your marriage as soon as possible.

You and your partner must be:

  • aged 18 or above on the day of your wedding (consent is needed if either of you is aged 16 or 17)
  • unrelated to one another in a way that would prevent you from getting married
  • free to marry, for example, neither of you is already a civil partner or legally married
  • of a different sex
  • capable of understanding the nature of a marriage ceremony and of agreeing to marriage.

To make sure both parties meet these criteria, you must each  complete a marriage notice form, and supply the other necessary documents needed to get married, before your ceremony can take place. These should be returned to the Registrar’s office in the district where you plan to marry.  Please contact us if you have difficulty coming into our office with your marriage notice forms and documents.
Click here to download Marriage Application Form

Types of Ceremony

You can choose to have a civil or a religious wedding.

Religious Ceremonies A religious ceremony can only be performed by a  minister, priest or pastor, who has been registered as an Officiant and authorised by the Registrar General to conduct marriages.  Before you give notice of marriage you must decide when and where you want the marriage to take place. A couple wishing to have a religious ceremony should consult with the Officiant and agree a date and a venue. A religious ceremony may, with the agreement of the Officiant, take place anywhere in Northern Ireland.

Civil Ceremonies  A civil marriage can only be performed by the Registrar of Deputy Registrar for the District in which it is to take place. You can hold the ceremony in the Townhall, Enniskillen or the Grange, Omagh or you can have your ceremony performed in one of the approved venues.  Remember to make early arrangements with the Registrar. This is important as certain times of the year are very popular. View gallery of images on the right.

To improve access and enhance the customer experience works to the Grange will commence in mid April and should be completed during December 2018 .  Areas within the Strule Arts Centre will be available for civil ceremonies during this refurbishment period.  Please contact the Grange office directly to discuss the available options.

To view the locations of approved venues for civil ceremonies on a map please click here

Civil marriages  in approved venues can be booked for 12 noon or 3pm.

Click here to make an enquiry.

Getting Married Outside of Northern Ireland

If you are getting married in the Republic of Ireland and live in Northern Ireland you will require a Certificate of Legal Capacity of Marriage (letter of Freedom). Contact the Registration office in the area where you live as you will have to complete marriage notice application forms and submit paperwork and documents in your local office.

If you are getting married outside the UK and ROI you will need to check with the authorities in the country where you are getting married exactly what is needed. Detailed information is available from the NI Direct website

More Information

The General Register Office, based at Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR, provides help and advice about the following issues:
• getting married overseas
• immigration requirements
• ordering historical birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates.


File Type Size Date
Civil Marriage & Partnership Fees 2015 pdf 23 KB 10th February 2016
Approved Venue List Fermanagh & Omagh Civil Marriages pdf 21 KB 15th March 2018