Sustainable development is about meeting the needs of people today and providing them with a good quality of life without compromising the quality of life of future generations. It is characterised typically as achieving an optimum balance between social, environmental, and economic considerations. In achieving this balance, sustainable development aims to maximise the benefits of social, environmental and economic initiatives by mitigating negative and increasing positive impacts.
Under the Northern Ireland (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2006, Fermanagh and Omagh District Council is required in the exercise of its functions, to act in the manner it considers best to contribute to the achievement of sustainable development in Northern Ireland, except to the extent that it considers that such action is not reasonably practicable.
The Council must be aware of, and have regard for, any strategy or guidance relating to sustainable development issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs or any other Northern Ireland Department.
By working in accordance with our Sustainable Development Policy, Fermanagh and Omagh District Council will:
- Consider sustainability in all its actions and decisions
- Progressively integrate sustainability principles into its daily activities
- Seek to increase the awareness of sustainable development generally
- Ensure that where possible, council activities support the achievement of sustainable development
- Strive to act as an exemplar for sustainable development, ensuring policies and actions provide a lead to the local and wider community
The policy is supported by our Sustainable Development Action Plan, the purpose of which is to record the actions that Fermanagh and Omagh District Council will take in relation to promoting and embedding sustainable development principles within our organisation as well as measuring the improvements in outcomes.
You can download a copy below of Fermanagh and Omagh District Council’s Sustainable Development Policy and current Action Plan.
For further information on sustainable development, please visit Sustainable NI .