What is anti-social behaviour?

The term anti-social behaviour (ASB) is used to describe a wide range of inconsiderate and nuisance behaviour, such as excessive noise, graffiti, littering and disputes with neighbours. While this type of behaviour may not, in itself, be a criminal offence, it can have an effect on the quality of life of individuals and communities. It is therefore important to report your concerns about anti-social behaviour you are experiencing at an early stage, before a problem appears to be getting needlessly out of control.


Anti-social Behaviour Who Do I Call?

If you are experiencing a problem with anti-social behaviour, there are a number of agencies that can help. This information below provides a guide to the issues that each agency is responsible for and their contact details.


The PSNI can investigate complaints about criminal behaviours. All complaints will be fully investigated and if there is evidence then offenders may be prosecuted or cautioned.

Contact for the following:

  • Motoring Offences
  • Drunken and rowdy behaviour in a public place
  • Criminal damage
  • Assaults
  • Theft
  • Intimidation
  • Harassment
  • Drug Use/Dealing
  • Hate crime

None Emergency Number 101

In an emergency always call 999.

Northern Ireland Housing Executive

Anyone can report anti-social behaviour where it involves or affects a Housing Executive property or its tenant(s). Complaints will be fully investigated and the Housing Executive will attempt to resolve them promptly. Where appropriate, verbal and/or written warnings can be issued and, in serious cases, the Housing Executive can initiate legal action for possession of the property.

Contact for the following:

  • Noisy or disruptive tenants
  • Neglected dwellings/gardens
  • Use of premises for illegal purposes
  • Use of premises for business purposes
  • Neighbourhood disputes

NIHE Number: 0344 8920 900

Fermanagh & Omagh District Council

The Council can provide advice or guidance on any of the issues listed above or on any other environmental matter affecting your quality of life. A variety of enforcement options are available, from Fixed Penalty Notices to issuing Abatement Notices for noise and waste. Failure to respond to the initial enforcement action may result in prosecution.

Contact for the following:

  • Noise nuisance
  • General noise nuisance
  • Disputes about high hedges
  • Litter and illegal dumping
  • Graffiti
  • Fly posting
  • Dog fouling
  • Dog nuisance
  • Stray dogs
  • Abandoned vehicles

FODC Number: 0300 303 1777


What information will I need to provide?

When reporting anti-social behaviour it is useful if you can provide as many details as possible as these will help to decide the best way to deal with your case. These include:

  • As much information as possible about the incident (location, time, description of those involved, if this has happened before)
  • If you are worried about your or your family’s safety
  • If you think the incident was aggravated by any other factors such as sectarian or racial abuse, or based on disability
  • Details of any witnesses
  • The impact the incident has had on you and
  • Your contact details.


anti social behaviour line