COVID-19: There have been some changes to Council services. For up to date information on Council services and community & business support available during this time, please follow this link: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Information, Advice & Council services
Top 10 Tips to save Energy in your Home
- Turn off lights when you leave the room and invest in low energy bulbs.
- Try not to overheat the room. The recommended temperatures are 21oC in the main living room and 18oC in other rooms. A 1oC decrease in room temperature can reduce your fuel bills by up to 10%.
- Don’t leave appliances on standby and remember not to leave laptops and phone chargers on charge unnecessarily.
- Have a shower instead of a bath – you can have five 5 minute showers for the cost of a bath. This saves water as well as energy.
- Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping. If you have radiators under your window, make sure your curtains don’t cover them.
- Don’t overfill kettles – just boil the amount you need.
- Always wash a full load and spin dry clothes before tumble drying.
- Defrost your freezer regularly and don’t put warm or hot food straight into the fridge or freezer – let it cool first.
- When buying a new appliance, choose the most energy efficient – ‘A’ is the best, ‘G’ is the worst.
- If your hot water tank has a thermostat set it to 60oC.