Landlord Registration Scheme
Landlord Registration Scheme
Under the Landlord Registration Scheme Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 all private Landlords must register. Registration will last for a period of 3 years at the end of which there is a requirement to re-register.
How do I register?
- Online @ https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/publications/landlord-registration-scheme
- Telephone – call the advice line 0300 200 7821 to register via telephone or to request an application form
- Download a registration form at https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/publications/landlord-registration-scheme or collect a form from the Environmental Health Department or your local rates office.
How much does registration cost?
- Online registration £70
- Paper registration £80
What information does a Landlord need to provide?
- Landlord’s full name
- Landlord’s address, email address, telephone number (including mobile number)
- Name, address and contact number of any agent acting for the Landlord
- For each dwelling to be let:
- The address including the postcode
- The year the house was built
- The name and contact details of all joint owners
- Correspondence address for Landlord (which must be in Northern Ireland) if different from above;
- Landlord’s date of birth;
- Where the Landlord is a Landlord who is registered under the Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Registration Scheme:
- The HMO Registration Certificate Number
- The address of the each House in Multiple Occupation
- Where the Landlord is a Company, the Company Registration Number
A Landlord must disclose their entire privately rented property portfolio at time of registration.
- Providing false information when registering
- Letting a house whilst not being registered
- Being registered but failing to provide evidence of registration in prescribed circumstances
Offences will be dealt with through the service of a Fixed Penalty Notice or Legal Proceedings may be instigated by the Council against a Landlord. On prosecution a Landlord committed of offence 1 or 2 above may be liable to a fine of £2,500 and for offence 3 a fine of £500.
Further information on Landlord Registration can be found at https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/publications/landlord-registration-scheme
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if my details change?
To ensure the ‘Register’ is up to date, a Landlord or agent should update their details after registration. There is no fee charged for making amendments to the Register.
I am an agent managing a private rented property – Do I Register?
You can register on your Landlord’s behalf and enter their details onto the system but it is ultimately the responsibility of Landlords, not agents, to ensure that they are registered.
What happens if a Landlord fails to register or provides false information for Registration?
A person found guilty of either of these offences can be issued with a Fixed Penalty of up to £500 or if taken to Court can be fined up to £2,500.
Will members of the public be able to see my information on the Internet?
Members of the public will be able to see if a Landlord is registered by entering his or her name.