HSENI announces joint awareness initiative with local Councils on gas safety in commercial catering
25th August 2022
The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) has launched a joint initiative with local councils to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of maintenance of gas appliances in commercial catering, and in Care and Nursing Homes.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly without warning, it cannot be seen, and it is without taste or smell.
The law places duties on the responsible person (employer) at any place of work to ensure that any gas appliances, installation pipework and flues under their control, is maintained in a safe condition to prevent risk of injury:
- Gas equipment must be installed, commissioned, and maintained by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. Supporting evidence of the instillation should be available for review during any subsequent inspections by an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) or HSENI Inspector. All Gas Safe registered engineers will be able to provide the relevant paperwork.
- Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and appropriately qualified for the type of work to be undertaken. Not all Gas Safe registered engineers can work on all types of gas or appliances. The onus is on you to ensure that the engineer is qualified to work on your gas supply, as well as the type of gas appliances you have.
Until March 2023 EHOs and HSENI Inspectors will be following a program of visits and checks to ensure the safety of your gas installation.
For further information on gas safety in commercial catering at https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/media/1447/commercial-catering.pdf
To find or check a Gas Safe registered engineer in areas across Northern Ireland and check their qualifications at GasSafeRegister.co.uk