Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas which has no smell, colour or taste.  It can be found in residential, commercial, recreational and workplace environments.

How can I reduce the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when a flue or fuel burning appliance such as multi-fuel stove, gas cooker, boiler or open fire has not been properly installed, maintained or is poorly ventilated.

To reduce the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, ensure all fuel burning appliances are properly installed and regularly serviced, at least once per year, by a qualified engineer.  You should also fit a carbon monoxide alarm.  However, a carbon monoxide alarm should not be used as an alternative to ensuring fuel burning appliances are serviced annually.

Where can I get further information?
Download the leaflet “Reduce the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in your Home” or for further information regarding reducing the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning contact Fermanagh & Omagh District Council’s Environmental Health Department at 0300 303 177.

The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety has also produced an information leaflet on Carbon Monoxide. This is available to download from the NI Direct website.

Downloads

Related Files
Reduce the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in your Home
119 KB | pdf | 03 Mar 2016