Cole’s Monument reopens for summer

Cole's Monument

Published: 22nd April 2016

Cole’s Monument, which stands within Forthill Park in Enniskillen and is one of the most prominent landmarks in the town’s skyline, will reopen to the public on Sunday 1 May 2016.

The monument features an original 108 step staircase to a viewing platform which offers magnificent views of Enniskillen and the surrounding area. It will be open every Saturday and Sunday from 1 pm to 3 pm, May to September and on various other days during these months.

A Fermanagh and Omagh District Council guide will be on hand during these times to escort groups of up to 8 people at any one time up and down the staircase and provide a history of the tower and the town.

Admission to the monument is free.

Cole’s Monument takes the form of a Doric column, topped by a statue of General the Honourable Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole. It was built from 1845-1857 on a drumlin site in memory of the late Sir G Lowry Cole (1772-1842) who was the second son of the first Earl of Enniskillen.

Sir G Lowry Cole had distinguished himself in the Peninsular War and later became Governor of Cape Colony.  During the wars with France, Cole served in the French West Indies, Martinique and Guadeloupe – the names of these and other campaigns in which he was involved are engraved on the side of the monument. There is also an inscription above the door to the monument which reads, “In memory of General the Honourable Sir Galbraith Lowry Cole, C.B., Colonel of the 27th Regiment, Erected by his friends.” 

Sir G Lowry Cole was also a Member of Parliament in the Irish House of Commons for the family seat of Enniskillen from 1797 to 1800 and represented Fermanagh in the British House of Commons in 1803.

Cole’s Monument is one of two high quality memorials in Forthill Park. The other is Plunkett’s Bandstand. The Victorian bandstand was erected in 1895 in recognition of the work of Thomas Plunkett who served for many years on the Enniskillen Board of Guardians and the Town Commissioners and was responsible for many improvements in Enniskillen including the redevelopment of the Forthill Pleasure Grounds.

Full details of Cole’s Monument opening hours are available by visiting the relevant section of Fermanagh and Omagh District Council’s website or by contacting Fermanagh Visitor Information Centre on 028 6632 3110.

Other News

Household Brown Bin Collection – Update

Household Brown Bin Collection – Update

Household Brown Bin Collection - Update

17th October 2017

Storm Ophelia – Emergency information & update on Council services, 16 Oct 2017 8.45pm

Council services will return to normal tomorrow morning, unless circumstances overnight dictate otherwise.

16th October 2017

Storm Ophelia – Emergency information & update on Council services, 16 Oct 5.45pm

Due to the amber weather warning, all Council offices and facilities are closed for the remainder of today, Monday 16 October 2017. We are currently working on the basis that Council services will resume as normal tomorrow (Tuesday 17 October 2017) however we will be keeping this under review. This position may change depending on weather conditions.

16th October 2017